Introduction to Traffic Management

The sight of Traffic Controllers by the side of the road – in Hi-Vis and usually carrying a sign is a common one in Australia. They are most often situated at worksites and roadworks when traditional traffic control measures like lights are insufficient for the job at hand. 

The role of a traffic controller is to help improve personal safety, public convenience and to facilitate the efficient flow of traffic. As one of the few public-facing roles on a worksite, they also have an essential role in public relations – liaising information to those affected by the works.

Our introduction to worksite traffic management will give you a broad overview of the role – the training required, the costs, salary, and the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions so you can be in the best position possible to secure a job in as traffic controller in Perth.



What training do I need?

To work legally as a traffic controller in Australia, you must undergo training and have the required certificates, MRWA Accreditation Card and Blue/White card. Once you have these, you are employable and can start your career in traffic management.

As a traffic controller in WA, you have the authority to control traffic with a stop/slow bat, so your training will cover the extent of your powers and responsibilities. Traffic controllers are also required to effectively communicate within the workplace as well as with emergency services, WHS authorities and the public.


Basic Worksite Traffic Management and Traffic Control (BTWM & TC)

This 3-day course is designed to be thorough, fun and engaging. After two days of theoretical training, we’ll get you out on the road for a full day, putting everything you learned into practice. 

You will be competent in providing a safe environment for all road and construction traffic participants. Our lecturers will be there with you every step of the way, providing you with all the guidance you need to complete the course successfully.


Course outcomes

On completion of the Basic Worksite Traffic Management and Traffic Control course, you will receive the Main Roads WA accreditation card along with a nationally recognised statement of attainment for the units below, allowing you control traffic at worksites on or near roads in Western Australia.


The course also includes these Units of Competencies:

  • RIIWHS201D Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures
  • RIICOM201D Communicate in the workplace
  • RIIWHS302D Implement traffic management plan
  • RIIWHS205D Control traffic with stop-slow bat


How much does it cost?

Course costs $650 per person or $195 with CTF subsidy funding. To check if you are eligible for funding, refer to the Construction Training Fund website.


Traffic Management – What’s the starting salary?

A job in traffic management can prove lucrative in its own right and lead to a long career in construction and worksite health and safety – with many using a role as a traffic controller as a foot in the door to the industry. 

Jobs are salary dependent, but a traffic controller in Perth, Western Australia can expect to earn between $29-$35/hr with the average being $30/hr.



What should I bring with me?

Students are required to wear appropriate safety clothing to conduct the practical component of the training course. This includes:

  • Safety boots (steel caps)
  • Long pants
  • Hi-Vis shirt (if you do not have one WTA will lend you a Hi-Vis vest on the day)
  • WTA will provide safety gloves

WTA requires that you bring the below to all traffic management courses:

  • Photo ID – Driver’s licence is required for this course
  • Construction Safety Awareness (Blue / White) Card
  • A valid Unique student identifier (USI)


How long does my accreditation last?

Main Roads Western Australia stipulates that all traffic management accreditations are to be renewed every three years. 

Our 1-day BWTM & TC Refresher course has been designed to update your knowledge and skills, getting you worksite ready in the quickest time possible.


Can I start working straight away?

Yes! Once you receive your Main Roads WA accreditation card you can start working as a traffic controller in WA.


Ready to begin your career as a traffic controller?

If you are looking for a career in worksite traffic management in Perth then head on over to our course page – we run courses throughout the year so before you know it you could be in a new, fulfilling job!